- Log on to your Yahoo! mail account. If your account was hacked, there will be a message from Yahoo! waiting for you.
- Create a new, unique password and change it for your Yahoo! account. Better yet, use Lastpass to maintain your passwords.
- Disable and delete the Security Questions. If you don’t know how, follow this link.
- If you are not using the account, you can close it. I recommend switching over to Gmail.
- Enable two-factor verification if you have not done so yet. Enable it for all accounts that support it.
- (Update 10-2-2016). If you use your mobile devices to check your email, you will need to re-generate “mobile passwords” by going through the steps listed here.
I doubt your account will be accessed for criminal activities, but it’s safe to keep an eye on any suspicious emails that arrive in your inbox.